10% of Philadelphia public school graduates go on to earn a college degree.
- Philadelphia has a 27% poverty level and the highest crime rate among the top 10 largest cities in America
- 75% of public high school students in the Philadelphia School District come from low-income families
- Low-income students are often the first in their family to pursue higher education and need additional academic, social, emotional and financial support to obtain a college degree.
UNDER-RESOURCED PUBLIC SCHOOLS
- The School District of Philadelphia is experiencing severe budget, staffing, and program cuts.
- Philadelphia public high schools have a 250 : 1 student to counselor ratio
- Over 50% of Philadelphia public high schools do not have a college access program
Lower Merion, an affluent school district just outside Philadelphia, claims that 96% of graduating students enroll in postsecondary programs